Get certified and sworn translations in 180 language combinations for your official paperwork within 48 hours on our expat moving platform.


When moving to a foreign country, it may be required to provide certified & sworn translated documents for legal documents. In many cases, it’s necessary to find a local translator who is recognized by the local government, which can be difficult to find when you’re still in your home country. It’s recommended to work with a trusted translation agency that offers a variation of translation languages and can provide translations of official documents in a quick turnaround time - electronically and physically.

We’ll walk through the translation process and provide recommendations on translation agencies that can manage all types of official documents for you to plan ahead for your move abroad.

Types of Documents to Translate

Preparing for a visa appointment or any immigration documentation may require certified and sworn translations of official documents. Working with a professional team of translators is critical to have the official translations approved for immigration purposes. The most common documents for translation include:

  • Birth certificate(s)
  • Marriage certificate(s)
  • Driver’s license
  • Death certificate (if applicable)
  • Divorce papers (if applicable)
  • Police records

This is not the exhaustive list, so be sure to check with your immigration lawyer or visa application center to understand which documents are required to present, and which ones specifically should be translated. Once you have your documents ready for translation, you can upload your documents on our expat moving platform for certified and sworn translations within 48 hours.

Difference between Translator and Certified Translator

Most people have not used a translator for official documents in their home country, but when moving abroad and understanding the immigration documents, it’s important to understand the difference between a translator and a certified translator.

Translator - Native speakers or those who have the knowledge and interpretation skills, but are not eligible to translate legal documents

Certified Translator - People who have cleared linguistic tests and have proven their expertise by the government to translate from one language to another, which is required for accurate translation of legal documents:

If you are unsure how to verify whether a translator has the official government approval for your immigration and official paperwork, then get set up on our expat moving platform to speak with an expat-vetted translation company that can complete your translations per the requirement of the government.

Sworn Translations

In addition to certified translators, there’s another level that many governments require. Some official documents must be translated by sworn and certified translators who have sworn and taken oath in the court of law.

An example of common documents that require sworn translations include:

  • Company documents
  • Patent documents

Whether you need simple translations for your CV or resume or need certified and sworn translations for official documents, you can securely upload your documents through our expat moving platform to complete translations within 48-72 hours by our team of professional and sworn translators.

Let the moving journey begin

Moving is stressful! That’s why we made it easier for you to plan coordinate & manage your move in one place.